Website of the Laceby History Group

The Two Pubs

For over two centuries the square in Laceby has been dominated by the buildings of the two pubs, “The Waterloo” and the “Nags Head”.

The first reference we have to a building on the site of the "Waterloo", is in a Will dated 1767, then in 1787 it is referred to as "The Cock Inn", but in 1815 this was demolished and rebuilt as the "Waterloo".

"The Nags Head" was called the "Manor House" in 1769, when it was leased by William Atkinson from Sir Cecil Wray for £150. It became "The Stag Inn" in 1807 when it was bought for £1000, but that did include the shop next door, a large plot of land, and two cottages. In the census of 1871 it is referred to as "The Nags Head", by which time the property also included a butcher's shop and piggeries.

"The Waterloo"
Since the first legal reference in 1767 to the final takeover by Bass, "The Waterloo" appears to have changed owners at least 23 times, with an almost equal number of licensees.

In 1767 John Everitt left the property to his nephew, John Sawers, plus an acre of land at Cottagers Platt, all his best clothes, and £5 for the poor of the nearby villages. When Mr. Sawers leased it to John Shearsmith, the lease also included one pew in the parish church. The property was now referred to as "The Cock Inn".

 In Mr. Shearsmith's will, he cut off his elder son with a shilling and left his estate to his other two sons, one of whom was a marine, stationed on the brig, "Redoubt" then lying at the mouth of the Humber. At the time of Mr. Shearsmith's death, the pub was tenanted by William Hickabottom, for the rent of one peppercorn!

But alas, Mr. Shearsmith left debts, and his executors decided to sell the property for £225. (Perhaps he should have upped the rent.)

In the will of another owner, Thomas Scott, the pub is left to his son, Benjamin, on condition that he finished his apprenticeship, made a clock, worked for two years for a silversmith, and then return to help his mother run the business. Luckily for Benjamin, the executors decided to put it up for auction. In 1815 "The Cock Inn" was demolished, and in 1816 the new pub was erected. It was called the "Waterloo", Thomas Amor took out a mortgage on it, for £1400, for which he had to borrow £700 at a rate of 5% per annum. He also still had to pay the one peppercorn. Mr. Amor's lease was for 1000 years, he sold it to Thomas French in 1825 for £928, who promptly negotiated a new lease for 500 years, took out fire insurance, and borrowed £500.

Alas, it would appear that his widow Mrs. Sarah French inherited his debts, for in the London Gazette of April 30th, 1844, there is a long report, at the conclusion of which, the property is turned over to her creditors.

When it was leased to William Daubney in 1864, it is described as being 'bounded by the turnpike road'.

In 1877 when it was mortgaged to the Hull Banking Co., for £1200, Mrs. Sarah French still lived at Cottager's Platt. By the time Mr. Charles Bolton was licensee in 1880, the "Waterloo" had become a very popular cyclist's house, with every accommodation, he also hired out horses and traps, and was a fish and ice merchant.

Finally, in 1884 Hewitt Bros. took over, in turn selling to Bass in 1970 for £25,000.

"The Nags Head"
It first appears on records in 1769, when Sir Cecil Wray leased the property, known as the "Manor House", to William Atkinson for £72. In 1787 George Harrison bought the lease and had to pay one peppercorn for the ground rent.

Not until 1807, when it is bought for £1000 , it is called the "Stag Inn". Two years later, when the price had gone up to £1200, it was bought by Thomas Barnard, referred to as a 'common brewer'. The whole property consisted of - "The Stag Inn", stables yard, butcher's shop, piggeries, out buildings, tenement, shop, and three cottages.

In 1871 the name was changed to "The Nags Head", and it became the property of Hewitt Bros in 1897, who sold it to Bass in 1970.

Of the two pubs, it is the "Nags Head" which appears to have been the working man's local. Before the war, the travelling stallion and his handler used to stay there, and during the war, if you went in on a Saturday, you could get your hair cut! It had a parrot, which used to like to nip the ends of spent matches, but one day, it got a live match, and set itself on fire. The locals threw their beer over the bird, but alas, to no av-ale, poor Polly died.

Both pubs have been redecorated and remodelled several times, now they are being combined to form one pub. There was a competition to select the new name. The winner was "The Cock and Stag", which does reflect a little of the history of the original two.

The Licensees

"The Waterloo" "The Nags Head"
   
1826 Thomas French 1856 John Markham
1842 Sarah French 1881 John Hill
1849 Henry Hobson 1909 Elizabeth Hill
1855 Ann Hobson 1920 William Hill
1880 Charles Bolton 1922 Elizabeth Hill
1905 Louisa Porter 1926 William Hill
1909 James Hill 1930 Ellen Hill
1919 Fred Austin 1935 William Short
1920 James West 1937 Jas. Everitt
1935 John Willey 1958 W.H. Everitt
1940 Herbert Green 1962 M. A. Everitt
1958 Walter Chase 1964 M.A. & R. Everitt
1964 Ronald White 1970 H. & J. Weed
  1982 T. Marsden & M. Hodson
  1983 R. Willey
  1984 N. Papworth
  1988 K. & K. Mowlem