Website of the Laceby History Group

The Mains Services

INTRODUCTION

Expansion and modernisation in the village of Laceby was inevitable in the twentieth century due to the close proximity to Grimsby, and to the Humber Bank development.

However, the factors which finally pushed the village gratefully or dragged it reluctantly (depending on your view) into the modern era were the introduction of the Mains Services.

The following is a brief summary of the installation of these services.

TELEPHONES

The first telephone exchange at Laceby was opened in 1910 with six subscribers. The names of all these first subscribers are not known but they included the Rector, the Rev. H. W. Knight, and C. Pawson and Sons, Joiners and Undertakers.

The exchange was installed in the Sub-Post Office and operated by the Sub-Postmaster. It was built by the National Telephone Company and taken over by the Post Office in 1912.

From 1910 to 1952, the telephone service was provided by five successive manual exchanges, operated from 1923 by Mr. Horace Haines the Sub-Postmaster, who was responsible for answering calls 24 hours a day.

In 1952 the 82 subscribers on the manual exchange were transferred to a new automatic exchange built in Caistor Road.

This equipment remained in use until 1973, when all Laceby subscribers were transferred to either the Grimsby or the Swallow exchanges.

WATER

Water mains in Laceby were laid in 1935 by The Great Grimsby Waterworks Co. Ltd.

The first services were connected in January 1936. These included two houses being built by W. H. Allison on Caistor Road (now occupied by Mr. Welt on and Mr. Barr), two houses in Cemetery Road owned by Miss McGregor and Mr. Weatherhog and also Mrs. Haines' house in Cemetery Road (the mother of the Sub-Postmaster).

The name of the Water Authority was changed to The Grimsby, Cleethorpes and District Water Board in 1937, The North East Lincolnshire Water Board in 1959 and The Anglian Water Authority in 1974.

ELECTRICITY

Electricity cables were laid in Laceby in 1930 and 1931 by the Grimsby Corporation Electricity Department.

The first connections were made in 1932 and the earliest records found indicate that these were to "The Rookery" in Grimsby Road in November 1932 and to Mr. C. Hopper, "Ivy Dene" in Grimsby Road in October 1932.

The name of the Electricity Authority ".,.as changed to the Yorkshire Electricity Board in 1948.

GAS

Gas mains were laid in the village in 1920 by the Great Grimsby Gas Company Limited.

The first connections were made in that year and were to properties near to the Beck Bridge.

In 1969, the system was converted to natural gas, and the gas now used in this area is from the Rough and West Sole gas fields off the coast of North Humberside.

The name of the Gas Authority was changed to the East Midlands Gas Board in 1949.

MAINS DRAINAGE

The drainage sewers were constructed in the village in 1958 and house connections were made in 1959. The main contractors were Messrs. Taylor and Coulbeck of Cleethorpes.

The original scheme submitted to the Ministry of Health in 1956 was designed to accommodate 500 dwellings, but was reduced by the Ministry to 400 dwellings, so that from the outset, the works were operating at design capacity.

Ultimately, in 1973 the Grimsby Rural District Council obtained approval for a major improvement scheme which has been carried out by the Anglian Water Authority to accommodate a total population of approximately 3800.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

The Post Office, Lincoln Telephone Area - Mr. E. S. Milnes
 

Anglian Water Authority - Mr. R. H. Gardam

Yorkshire Electricity Board - Divisional Engineer

East Midland Gas Board - Mr. Webb

Cleethorpes Borough Council - Mr. Cave

Laceby Post Office circa 1920