Website of the Laceby History Group

The Road Through Laceby

Prior to the 18th Century roads between villages and towns were the responsibility of the people of the parish through which the road ran. This resulted in most roads being little better than cart tracks, because no standards were laid down, and little enthusiasm shown for maintenance work as there was no incentive to travel .

Then during the 18th Century thousands of special Acts of Parliament established private turnpike trusts which were given the right to collect a toll in exchange for providing and maintaining a good road, thus encouraging travel and the growth of trading.

The map reproduced here shows this area prior to 1776 when a Captain Andrew Armstrong surveyed the whole of Lincolnshire, and a map was produced of which this is a part. At that time road patterns around Laceby were very different, e.g., there was no direct road from Laceby to Irby; the line of the A46 and A18 were non- existent.

The main road came when a Turnpike Trust was formed in 1765 to build a turnpike road from Great Grimsby Haven to Wold Newton Church, with a branch from Nuns' Farm to Irby passing through Laceby. The date when this was completed is not known, but it certainly was not until the 1790's. There were always delays in building turnpike roads brought about by lack of money, disputes over rights of way, and construction problems.

During the 19th Century further legislation put responsibility for roads onto Highway Authorities in local government, but it was 1856 before the road from Grimsby to Irby was freed from tolls

 

 

.