Website of the Laceby History Group

The Stained Glass Windows

From information in "A History of Laceby Church and Parish 1952"
(By kind permission of Mrs Brenda Anderson)

Gervase Holles, writing in the 17th century of Laceby church, noted two windows of stained glass:

a) The south window of the choir, containing arms which are identified as those of the Skipworth family

and

b) The east window, with arms that have not yet been identified.

In 1983 there are now eight stained glass windows and to help in identifying these on the plan of the c:hurch below, the numbers shown are the position of the windows, cross-referenced with the paragraph numbers.

1. East Window The east window was rebuilt with its portion of the east wall in i869 with three lights like its predecessor, and the stained glass is in memory of George Brooks, who died September 17th 1883, aged 86 years. The three lights show the Nativity, the Ascension and the Resurrection.

2. Chancel The window in the south wall of the chancel was unveiled in 1947 to the memory of Canon H W Knight, Rector 1889-1943. The centre light of the three shows Jesus as a Sower, while on the left is Canon Knight at a confirmation by Bishop King in Laceby Church, on the right the institution of John Whitgift as Dean of Lincoln. Above is the emblem of Whitgift, with the Arms of St John's College, Cambridge (Canon Knight's College) and Ridley Hall (Patrons of the living), of the Stanford Charity and of Lincoln Diocese . Mr Francis Skeat of St Albans was the artist.

3. Pulpit This window is another memorial to the Brooks' family. The glass of the window has four bright pictures of the Major Prophets: Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel and Daniel. It is to the memory of William Brooks, Esq, who died November 2nd 1851.

4. South Door On either side of the south door are roundheaded windows. The eastern one showing St Margaret, the saint to whom the church is dedicated, and the other to St John the Baptist.

5. Cropper Window Hidden by the Choir Vestry in the North Aisle the west window has the best stained glass in the church. It is dedicated as the inscription reads ....

"To the Glory of God. In Loving Memory
this window is erected by the children
of the late Robert Cropper, and Frances
his wife. Of Laceby House, AD September
1887. "

This Robert Cropper had built what was described at the time as 'a modern villa' near the former site of the Old Hall, in the 1820's. Outside this window are monuments to the Cropper family, members of which held various offices from the middle of the 18th century in Laceby Parish.

In the centre light of the window is the Ascension, with the Road to Golgotha and the Resurrection on either side.

6 . North Aisle Viewed through the Norman Arch is a window showing Christ blessing the children, in memory of David Field, who was born at Laceby on September 14th 1825, and who died at Torquay on January 29th 1840. Further along to the right is another window with SS Peter and Paul. The light containing St Peter is inscribed : ' This window was presented to Laceby Church by Edward Facon Watson Esq., of 201 Piccadilly, London, 3rd son of the late Edward Watson. February 5th 1880.' Beneath that of St Paul we read: 'In Hemory of Edward Watson, Gent., late of Hubbard's Place, Near Boston, whose remains are Buried near this spot. He departed this Life May 4th 1842. Aged 75 years.

7 . Vestry Window The small window in the vestry, supposed to be built in 1869, may be copied from an original 14th century one. There is a glass portrait of Whitgift in the quatre foil.