Website of the Laceby History Group

The Sale of Cropper Estate 1841

In the early 1800's the village was clustered around the square (see small inset map), dwellings were then in the square and in a small part of Grimsby and Caistor Road. Also Spring Lane, Church Lane, Old Chapel Lane, Seed Close Lane, Philips Lane, High Street, Austin Garth, and Stockwell where the main village pump was located.

To the west of High Street was a large mansion standing in 24 acres of land and described thus:-

"All that capital manse or mansion house called Laceby Hill, delightfully situated on a dry sand eminence in a fine evergreen shrubbery, commanding a panoramic view of the well wooded and gently hilly country. Comprising: entrance hall, kitchens, cellars, pantries, nine principle bedrooms and servants apartments besides all necessary domestic offices. There are three two stalled stables, four boves, and a double coach house . The pleasure grounds which are extensive contain a conservatory end vinery and there is also a very productive walled kitchen and fruit garden. The entrance from the main road is between two ornamental lodges and the approach to the park like grounds tastefully laid out together with a close of rich pasture land immediately adjoining called the Cocking, sheltered from the North by thriving plantations containing the gardens and shrubberies"

It is known that all this was bought by Mr. Robert Cropperfor £2,645 in the 1820's. During the ensueing years to 1841 Mr. Cropper had reason to have the house pulled down and due to financial problems, no doubt, was compelled to sell the estate off by auction in small lots.

The auctioneer was Thomas Jackson of Louth and their re-produced map is part of the brochure issued at that time. On the map there are twO indented roads marked, obviously planned by the auctioneer to give access to individual plots, and make them more attractive to purchase. One road became Cemetary Road, the other going up to Cooper Lane, never materialised, the land was sold to eight people, Lot 1 going to a Rector at that time, the Reverend Hr. Birkett. Houses were built on the land, Cemetary Road became a reality and the village grew westwards.