Website of the Laceby History Group

The Mammoth's Tusk

This was found in a sand pit in Cemetery Road, 1934 by Mr. W. H. Allison. It measured six foot in length and thirteen inches in circumference and was given to the Lincoln City and County Museum, where it has crumbled away until today it is only a fragment of its former size (now about eighteen inches). The Mammoth was a species of large elephant with a red hairy fur and became extinct about 10,000 BC. The tusk would have been swept along with other debris during the last Glacial Period and probably came from the Northern European Continent before being deposited in sand here at Laceby when the ice field retreated.